Position players coding

09/01/17 22:00
I wonder if this game will get to the point where positions players actually play their positions. Maybe coded so the skills that are most relevant to the position will get priority instead of the shotgun approach to skill distribution. Maybe defensive linemen will get a penalty for playing offensive line or a bonus for playing their position. I think if there was more incentive for people to have to draft position players to play their positions they would and this would create more competition for players in the AH. Just think if you had to get into a bidding war for a LB because needed a LB to play the LB position. That might be too big of a step but at least have it broken down to offensive and defensive sides of the ball. I never understood why all skills are available for all players. Why not have a skill set allocation system with positions in mind?
10/01/17 00:17
Greg Burkart :

I never understood why all skills are available for all players. Why not have a skill set allocation system with positions in mind?

Ty Montgomery, Patrick Peterson, or best of all, Mike Vrabel (former Pats LB with 12 catches, all for TDs, over his career). Players play out of position.
10/01/17 00:17
But yes, it would be nice if the auto-assign put points into the skills that mattered.
10/01/17 01:08
This does happen in all the Madden games, so I understand where Greg is coming from. If you move a safety to OL, there is an overall penalty.
10/01/17 01:21
I haven't dug too deep into it, but from what I've seen that Madden penalty is because the overall rating is based on the skills necessary for that position. If you mod a safety to 100 in all OL stats, he should be a 100 overall at OL.
10/01/17 21:14
Ryan Derenbecker :

Greg Burkart :

I never understood why all skills are available for all players. Why not have a skill set allocation system with positions in mind?

Ty Montgomery, Patrick Peterson, or best of all, Mike Vrabel (former Pats LB with 12 catches, all for TDs, over his career). Players play out of position.

I know but that is the exception. How many NFL offensive linemen play D line? How many LB play offensive line? And how many kickers are on the kick return special teams unit I just through tossed that last one in for fun. Professional players are for the most part professional players because tey are very good at the skills relevant to their position. I know this is an apps game. I just like to think outloud.
10/01/17 21:18
Ah, but they're at that position because of their skills. If a player's skills line up with a different position (or a team has a need), they move the player to that position.

Kinda like the S I'm starting at MLB- he's a great tackler and has solid strength, and is better at the position than the LBs I have (while LBs on the AH seem to get their prices jacked up super high, so I've only won one so far) but weaker than the Ss I acquired, so it actually helps my team and is a more natural fit until he gets faster anyway.
12/01/17 22:03
I understand but at least those two players share similar defensive skill sets S/LB. It would be much different if you said Hey I have a RB playing LB because he has better LB skills than the LB or a Center playing CB because we all know it is totally believable that a Center could switch over to defense and play CB.
13/01/17 01:36
Hey, crazy stuff can happen. I'd put a lineman on a receiver in real football if I knew he couldn't avoid jam coverage, especially in short range situations.

Ooh, fun thought: if pancakes become a real NFL stat, will CBs get credited for knocking guys down at the line? lol