World cup quarterfinals

17/09/17 13:58
How does everyone have the international sides ranked as of today (not where you think each team will be during the world cup. Also, disregard the pool of death etc so just top 8 and how they rank. We had a nice chat in BIA about this and look forward to more thought. I think 3-7 is real interesting.

1. New Zealand (shocker)
8. Argentina

4. Australia
5. Ireland

3. South Africa
6. France

2. England
7. Wales
17/09/17 14:14
I'd put Ireland and Australia ahead of South Africa, the rest I'm in agreement with
17/09/17 14:15
I think a lot of the 'hate' (not hate of course) toward sa is because of the best team in the world. South Africa, with a top notch 9 in England, just had a draw with Australia in Australia. I couldn't move them for that reason.
17/09/17 14:16
Coach, would you have Ireland (just beat the ABs) or Australia in 3rd?
17/09/17 14:19
Another fun question would be how many island teams would be in the top 8 if a player had to play for the nation they were born in?
17/09/17 14:27
BM in numeric order I'd have:
1. New Zealand
2. England
3. Ireland
4. Australia
5. South Africa
6. France
7. Wales
8. Argentina

All be it SA managed a draw against Australia in Australia, it was after Australia had two tough games against New Zealand and that takes it out of a team, no matter how fit you are. Australia also hasn't been performing that well in Super Rugby so I would expect an in form firing on all cylinders SA team to beat them.

Add to that the 50+ unanswered points against NZ that only adds to the drop in position.
17/09/17 14:49
The disarray of Australia super rugby keeps me from putting the 3 today
17/09/17 15:50
Coach Fluffy Pink Ball :

BM in numeric order I'd have:
1. New Zealand
2. England
3. Ireland
4. Australia
5. South Africa
6. France
7. Wales
8. Argentina

All be it SA managed a draw against Australia in Australia, it was after Australia had two tough games against New Zealand and that takes it out of a team, no matter how fit you are. Australia also hasn't been performing that well in Super Rugby so I would expect an in form firing on all cylinders SA team to beat them.

Add to that the 50+ unanswered points against NZ that only adds to the drop in position.

Hey coach fluffy pink... a well measured response :).
In my humble opinion it would be:-
1) Wal...just kidding.. NZ as they don't choke any more in world cups
2)SA (with no politics).
3) England coached by Eddie Jones
4)Australia
5)Argentina
6)Scotland
7)Wales
8)France
9)Ireland
This is primarily based on 'real' performances under pressure in world cups and illustrates the Northern Hemisphere fear to pass the ball...
17/09/17 15:56
Does Ireland get no credit for beating the ABs? And remember that Argentina doesn't have a kicker due to their rules and their true 10 being in France and thus ineligible.
17/09/17 16:44
The sad truth is SA Rugby will not be politics free in our lifetime so realistically I cannot see them win the world cup in this nor the next edition.

In World Cups you can't really go on historic form, if that was the case France should be right up there because of their previous result.

All the teams have new coaching staff, new plays and new ways of playing their game and the type of game play has made quite some changes in the last couple of years, especially due to the All Black dominance running rugby and the passing game is becoming part of everybodies game