Training Match Defense reward

15/03/17 15:16
In the standard match mechanic, you get 5 matches per day and you're allowed to play others higher ranked than you to rise up the leaderboards. Once you're high up in the leaderboards, you kind of max out on who you can beat, so the 5 games a day becomes kind of pointless. In the most drastic of cases, you're actually in the top 5 of the leaderboards and there literally are not 5 people to play. So by climbing the leaderboard, you are actually hurting yourself in a way. Whereas before, you had plenty of opportunities to play lots of people and win, now you have no one to play, and don't have that mode of income/training.

This incentivizes many players to stay low in the rankings (Higher number ranking) so they can continue to play lots of games against easy opponents since climbing the rankings doesn't really reward you in game. It only rewards you from an aesthetics and glory perspective.

One thing that does change once you go up in the rankings is that you start getting played a lot more by other people. Other people want to play you to climb above you. Except you get nothing from these games.

One way of fixing this would be to make training matches behave similarly to GC defenses. You get money for someone else playing you. This incentivizes people climbing the rankings to become part of the action. The higher rank you are, the more people want to play you and the more money you make. Instead of having hundreds of the best players lolligagging in the 20000+ rankings areas because there is no point in climbing the leaderboard

If this functionality isn't added... there should be functionality made to allow playing teams lower ranking than you to allow you to drop ranks.
15/03/17 20:01
I agree I refuse to play training games unless I've just got a new stadium and I will never go for the highest guy on my map always the one nearest ranked to me because I don't see the point in trying to be high ranked to gain 5,000 fans and then get smashed silly and loose more than you gain so I do play but only in moderation when I've got a new stadium and I will never play all 5 games so I always maintain a low ranking for me there is just no point to being the top ranked guy nice if you can get there but don't want to lose fans for games I don't start
16/03/17 04:09
Dynasty471 :

In the standard match mechanic, you get 5 matches per day and you're allowed to play others higher ranked than you to rise up the leaderboards. Once you're high up in the leaderboards, you kind of max out on who you can beat, so the 5 games a day becomes kind of pointless. In the most drastic of cases, you're actually in the top 5 of the leaderboards and there literally are not 5 people to play. So by climbing the leaderboard, you are actually hurting yourself in a way. Whereas before, you had plenty of opportunities to play lots of people and win, now you have no one to play, and don't have that mode of income/training.

Random aside: This recently came up in my guild- apparently the top 3-5(?) have the full top 8 on their map, so you'll never run out of people to play.

Also, I agreed with you until recently (we have been the same league level for a while, and you're the only guy sharing a level with me that scares me). However, there comes a point where the guaranteed wins on the map no longer provide enough cash to be worth staying low (and I'm not sure why this hasn't been the case for you yet since you've got about the same cash infrastructure I do). Tougher opponents on the map seem to provide a multiplier to the cash earned, making the reward meaningful (most opponents give me $110,000, but I've earned as high as $185,000 from wins up here). I've jumped from ~3900 to the top 100 for that very reason.

I'd love to have an extra benefit to map defenses, but it's not a broken system, so no rush.
16/03/17 04:10
Ashley Longthorn :

I agree I refuse to play training games unless I've just got a new stadium and I will never go for the highest guy on my map always the one nearest ranked to me because I don't see the point in trying to be high ranked to gain 5,000 fans and then get smashed silly and loose more than you gain so I do play but only in moderation when I've got a new stadium and I will never play all 5 games so I always maintain a low ranking for me there is just no point to being the top ranked guy nice if you can get there but don't want to lose fans for games I don't start

At 100-200 fans/loss, this really shouldn't be a problem. I have yet to lose more fans than I can gain with a single win, and I'm surrounded by guys with higher stat caps than me.

Of course, it's also like I told you elsewhere- space out your challenges and use them for revenge instead of dumping them all at once, makes it easier to keep your stadium full.
16/03/17 06:29
There is some little add for the level difference in teams. But it is about fanbase. You will see the biggest stadiums offer up 245K. And at the top the teams routinely move up, so you move back down. And do it all again. Over 1 mil a night, if you get the right teams.
16/03/17 14:53
Only one that scares you... Is that you, Super Ninja Football? Been a while since I've played you in a game that mattered.I believe you have the last win in a tourney.

Sure, I suppose I haven't really tried moving into the top 150 or top 100, but I haven't seen any kind of multiplier yet for tougher games. it seems to be dependant on just my stadium size, which makes it less attractive to me to want to move up. I'll give moving up to 150 or so a shot, but even then, 70 or 80k extra money from a game isn't much and that multiplier would theoretically go away from I move into these higher leagues, right? The system may not be broken, but I still believe a defense bonus is in order. I haven't really paid attention, but does playing defenses lower your teams energy? That would be the worst and absolutely justify some sort of payment.
16/03/17 19:51
Dynasty471 :

I haven't really paid attention, but does playing defenses lower your teams energy? That would be the worst and absolutely justify some sort of payment.

Yeah, I've had to use some of my thousand heal kits to regen before games, and I know one guild will challenge over and over on the map to wear a team down and take their spot as a group.

Dynasty471 :

Only one that scares you... Is that you, Super Ninja Football? Been a while since I've played you in a game that mattered.I believe you have the last win in a tourney.

Yeah, that's me, but to get that tourney win I had to silver bullet you with very specific strats, and couldn't touch you when I friendlied you to buy time last night (wanted to keep my fans at max for my league game). You've got a strong team, should be able to hold your own in the top 100- I keep fighting off level 13-15 guys with poor strats/training.

Sorry I didn't accept the invite, I like the RP and cash from GCs in this guild too much lol
Truth be told, I was trying to talk them into inviting you last time we had an open spot, but you already had started your own guild.
16/03/17 19:53
It also depends on your situation- $110,000/game no longer helps me in any meaningful way, I've got a huge heal kit stash, and I was no longer able to sub in developmental guys for map games, so there was no point in me staying low anymore.
16/03/17 21:35
So map games actually affect you on defense. And you gain nothing from them even if you win. And they currently pay a pittance compared to GC or champ or tourney games even if you are the one challenging. Seems fairly pointless to me. Kind of makes me wish I had stayed at a much lower ranking to avoid these meta strategies. Not sure I see the benefit of map games at all.

Haha, I didn't actually expect you to accept that invite. It's totally fine. I did get an invite from you guys, but it was after you were already full. I'm actually already a little bored of running my own guild. I might look for a move soon.
16/03/17 23:01
Yeah, I sent that invite as a response to yours lol